Demonstrating the benefit of hiring individuals with a criminal background
Dave’s Killer Bread (DKB) is committed to creating meaningful employment opportunities for individuals who have criminal backgrounds. Not only does this serve the individual and the community, but it also helps DKB expand their talent pipeline during considerable growth.
One-third of DKB’s employees have a criminal background. DKB partners with local organizations and staffing agencies to reach this talent pool and benefits from the Work Opportunity Tax Credit available to employers who hire and retain individuals who have been convicted of a felony.
DKB has experienced several positive outcomes with this population of employees. Those with a criminal background have:
- No significant difference in turnover or disciplinary actions compared to employees with no criminal background
- A very similar involuntary turnover rate for those with criminal backgrounds (7%) compared to those without a criminal background (8%).
- A 28% promotion rate compared to 15% for those without a criminal background
- We see some amazing outcomes of giving a person that one opportunity to show what they can do – we have employee partners in all levels of our organization with past criminal backgrounds who have excelled since joining DKB and have developed into future leaders of the company.
Regional HR Business Partner
Dave’s Killer Bread
- At Dave’s Killer Bread we are excited about the potential that every individual brings. Some employers may worry that individuals with a criminal background need extra support. But they really don’t need anything extra. They simply need an opportunity. Hire the right person for the job, sometimes they come with a colorful background.
Dave’s Killer Bread Foundation